Brewer Reality Show?

Cigar City Brewing filmed for possible TV reality show

Spectrum Productions, a Tampa film company that has worked with animal expert Jack Hanna and National Geo graphic’s “Swamp Men” series is developing a new reality show featuring Tampa’s Cigar City Brewing.

A film crew has been following Tampa-based Cigar City owner Joey Redner and brewer Wayne Wambles for months.

Once the series is developed, it will be shopped to various cable networks and could be on the air by next year.

The film crew recorded the recent public squabble over Cigar City’s tasting room as local residents opposed the granting of a city permit to serve beer.

Attached files

Comments

  1. Pro Filterman says

    Sounds like everybody’s jumping the Dogfish Bandwagon?

    First they start pushing the “brewing limits” with the product they make, and many follow. Then they get a “reality show” and the TV neocons want to cash in.

    Just my opinion, not trying to hate. I’d love to try some of what Cigar City makes. I’ve hear it’s some very interesting stuff.

    What’s your thoughts?

  2. Sulfur says

    I guess the spotlight’s on us now. First it was Alaska Trawlers, then Ice Truckers, now Lumberjacks and – Brewers! Good for us. And this goes around the world. Maybe now, viewers in other countries will realize the great beer culture in the US.

  3. Tlangle1 says

    Sulfur wrote: I guess the spotlight’s on us now. First it was Alaska Trawlers, then Ice Truckers, now Lumberjacks and – Brewers! Good for us. And this goes around the world. Maybe now, viewers in other countries will realize the great beer culture in the US.

    “In the future, everyone will be world famous for 15 miunutes.” – Andy Worhol Little did he know how close that future was.

  4. Pro Filterman says

    Sulfur wrote: I guess the spotlight’s on us now. First it was Alaska Trawlers, then Ice Truckers, now Lumberjacks and – Brewers! Good for us. And this goes around the world. Maybe now, viewers in other countries will realize the great beer culture in the US.

    Well put, but will that spotlight shine as well as the amount of sweat we have put into the industry?

    Or will they cash in and dump us at the side?

  5. JosephJMRedner says

    Pro Filterman wrote: Sounds like everybody’s jumping the Dogfish Bandwagon?

    First they start pushing the “brewing limits” with the product they make, and many follow. Then they get a “reality show” and the TV neocons want to cash in.

    Just my opinion, not trying to hate. I’d love to try some of what Cigar City makes. I’ve hear it’s some very interesting stuff.

    What’s your thoughts?

    Spectrum approached us about doing a show before we or they (Spectrum) knew anything about the DFH show. At the time I feared it might be a bit cheesy if the wrong focus was pursued, but they convinced me that the focus would be on what it takes to run the brewery and that they’d try to keep the cheesy to a minimum.

    Anyway, when we agreed to let them shoot a demo I had no idea DFH was doing a show (nor did Spectrum). When they found out about the DFH show the demo was already underway and they decided to continue.

    I’m not saying that we wouldn’t do a show if someone had already done one. Just pointing out the timeline. Agreeing to do a demo was 100% about what we thought about Spectrum’s ability to capture what we do. Spectrum shoots the Jack Hanna show and they do a good job of it and during the demo you barely knew they were there which was my other concern. I’m not totally stupid, I know a show would be a wonderful marketing tool, but only if done well and only if it didn’t interfere with the day to day activities in the brewery.

  6. Tikiman says

    I’m not sure how the show will be but I do know how Cigar City beer is. Very good.

    As long as the breweries being promoted are putting out a good product, it would seem it could only help the industry.

    Congrats on the expansion guys and hope the show works out.

  7. LuskusDelph says

    Tlangle1 wrote: “In the future, everyone will be world famous for 15 miunutes.” – Andy Worhol Little did he know how close that future was…

    …and how 15 minutes can sometimes seem like a painfully long time.

  8. JosephJMRedner says

    LuskusDelph wrote: …and how 15 minutes can sometimes seem like a painfully long time.

    I know. 1.5 seconds can seem pretty excruciating at times.

  9. almalkin says

    Recently on The History Channel there was a home brew reality TV show that featured Harpoon Brewery as well.

    I say the more the better.